It is really important to measure your drawer slides before installation.
Drawer slides that are not properly measured would be wrongly fitted. This will lead to cabinet warping and slides jamming. To save costs and increase the lifespan of your drawer, you need to measure your drawer slides accurately.
In this article, we have compiled easy ways to measure your drawer slide. In addition to that, we have tried to answer all the questions regarding measuring different types of drawer slides. Let's dive right into it...
Table Of Contents
- How To Measure Drawer Slides?
- 1. Uninstall the drawer from your room/kitchen cabinet:
- 2. Pick your tape measure and measure the box, except for the drawer front:
- 3. Use your tape measure to measure the width of your uninstalled drawer, with the width of the opening in the cabinet inclusive:
- 4. Take an assessment of the inner and outer part of the drawer:
- 5. After following the steps above, if you are unsure about your drawer slide’s size, take the drawer along when measuring:
- How To Measure Drawer Width For Slides?
- What Size Drawer Slides Should I Use?
- How Do You Measure For Full Drawer Slides?
- How Do You Measure For Soft-Close Drawer Slides?
- How Do You Measure For Blumotion Drawer Slides?
How To Measure Drawer Slides?
Let’s discuss the step-by-step methods of measuring drawer slides. There are tools needed when measuring the drawer slide such as measuring tape and a screwdriver.
Listed below are step-by-step methods of measuring drawer slides:
- Uninstall the drawer from your room/kitchen cabinet
- Pick your tape measure and measure the box, except the drawer front
- Use your tape measure to measure the width of your uninstalled drawer, with the width of the opening in the cabinet inclusive
- Take an assessment of the inner and outer part of the drawer
- After following the steps above, if you are unsure about your drawer slide’s size, take the drawer along when measuring.
1. Uninstall the drawer from your room/kitchen cabinet:
This is needed when you don’t have enough time for estimations and analysis; Accuracy is paramount.
You need to do some manipulations when uninstalling the drawer slide.
For most drawers, you need to extend and lift the drawer, and it will come out easily from the cabinet.
If this method doesn’t work, you can guide the drawer for more extension, then lift the drawer's back to drive the balls out of the guides.
You can also make use of a screwdriver to remove the balls from the guides, that’s if none of the two methods prior mentioned doesn’t work.
2. Pick your tape measure and measure the box, except for the drawer front:
The front face of the drawer doesn’t require any measurement. Because it only stops the cabinet drawer from entering your room/kitchen cabinet.
Start measuring at the back and front of the box, except for the drawer front.
After obtaining the figure of the length, round up the figure. Just like you will round numbers into decimal places.
For instance, if the size of your drawer is 50.50", you will need to buy a drawer slide size of 50".
3. Use your tape measure to measure the width of your uninstalled drawer, with the width of the opening in the cabinet inclusive:
After measuring the width of your removed drawer and the width of the cabinet opening.
And you discovered that the difference in your drawer’s width and opening width is in the range of 1/8 inch, you can use full-length extension guides.
But, if they are lower or greater than the range of 1/8 inch, it is advised that you use a bottom-mount guide.
Or, better still, you can make some carpentry adjustments to get them working.
4. Take an assessment of the inner and outer part of the drawer:
Untimely wear and tear on the drawer slide are caused by the wrong installation and probably a bad style adopted.
To prevent your drawer slide from hitting the inner members of the cabinet, it is recommended that you use smaller drawer slides to achieve this.
For example, use 24" drawer slides for an extensive drawer. And 10" drawer slide for a drawer with a small extension
5. After following the steps above, if you are unsure about your drawer slide’s size, take the drawer along when measuring:Make sure you examine your measurements, so you can save yourself the stress and time. It is certain that drawer slides sellers will know the best sizes for your slides. If you doubt your measurement, sellers can provide you with slides that will fit perfectly well on your drawer
How To Measure Drawer Width For Slides?
Measure the opening width from frame to frame, then minus 1" from the cabinet opening width. For under-mount slides, the width can be calculated by subtracting 3/8" from width opening, that is, 3/16" from all sides.
What Size Drawer Slides Should I Use?
After taking your measurements, you need to select a suitable drawer slide size.
For a drawer box with 20", you can use a 20" drawer slide. In case the drawer box measurement is less than 20", you can use the next shorter drawer slide.
This will make the drawer close well in the cabinet.
How Do You Measure For Full Drawer Slides?
Ensure you measure from the front to the end of your drawer. Full drawer slides are measured in terms of length, height, and depth.
The slide's depth must be measured, as this will help you to know if the drawer slide is thick or thin.
A drawer slide with a long or short length will not make your drawer function properly. The height is not an issue, but it is for thin mounts.
How Do You Measure For Soft-Close Drawer Slides?
It is important to measure soft close drawer slides for secure fitting. Measure the distance between the front and back of your drawer.
For most slides, the common size is 14" or 356mm. Some cabinets also come with longer slides
How Do You Measure For Blumotion Drawer Slides?
The front and back of your drawer are affected by the thickness, that's why it's very important to know the thickness before the next step. I prefer 0.5 inches thickness, you can use this if you are starting your stock with 4/4.
1. Decide the dimension of your drawer components:
If you are using blumotion drawer slides. You need to conceal the spaces in the drawer box by putting a face to your drawer front. Consider the following dimensions:
2. Length of sides:
This can be measured from the drawer runners' length.
Getting the actual dimension is at your judgment. Make sure you give space around the drawer. Give space requirements of 7mm on top of the drawer. Then, give a minimum of 1.122" for a blumotion slide.
The width of a blumotion drawer slide is measured from the interior edge of your drawer box. The internal dimension of the drawer is measured 1.7", this is a bit narrower than the opening of the cabinet. Although the highest thickness for the side of the drawer is 0.63", it does not put a limitation on the side adjustment.
When you follow all methods discussed in this article, then you are on the right track. Some folks return items to shops or online merchants because they were ignorant of measuring their drawer slides.
Choosing the best-fit slide from your drawer depends on the size of your drawer box.
Before you buy or place an order for a drawer slide, ensure you are certain the size you want.
I hope this article helps you. You can dig more by checking out the helpful resources. Thank you.